Summary: Oversees all aspects of the institute’s athletics programs including hiring of staff and coaches, ordering equipment, managing budgets, and allocating funds. Responsible for the academic and athletic success of the athletic department and the implementation of the institution’s vision for intercollegiate athletics consistent with the institution’s mission and vision. Collaborates with other campus departments, including Sports and Recreation, Admissions, Institutional Advancement, and others to achieve department objectives and ensure student success.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the academic and athletic success of the athletic department and the implementation of the institution’s vision for intercollegiate athletics consistent with the institution’s mission and vision.
- Creates/sustains an environment that prioritizes sportsmanship and civility.
- Establishes and implements short and long-term departmental goals, strategic plans, policies, and operating procedures for the athletic department and staff. Meets with coaches and staff regularly and assists with long-range planning for individual sports.
- Provides staff members with professional development opportunities.
- Prepares and administers athletic department budget. Accountable for compliance and fiscal stability of the athletics department.
- Works with the Department of Recreational Sports and Athletic Facilities regarding the use of athletic facilities, game-day operations, facility scheduling, capital project planning, and effective accommodation of various institute and community events and activities.
- Plan’s publicity activities; meets with representatives of news media; develops standards of courtesy for athletic staff and student-athletes.
- Promotes effective communication among all institutional constituents (president, vice president for student affairs, staff, administrators, faculty, student-athletes, media public, etc.). Advises the Vice President for Student Affairs and senior administrative on issues relating to intercollegiate athletics, its trends, problems, and other pertinent matters by making reports, recommendations, presentations, findings and preparing other correspondence as required or directed. Develops collaborative and effective partnerships with various campus stakeholders to optimize and ensure success in the recruitment and retention of student-athletes, their success as campus community members, and engagement as alumni.
- Ensures athletics program, events, and activities adhere to the rules, regulations, and polices of the NCAA Division III, Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference (HCAC), US Department of Education, and other applicable governing bodies, including completion and submission of any required reports. Maintains communication with outside organizations that are vital to the athletics department’s operations, such as the NCAA, NACDA, NACWAA, CoSIDA, etc.
- Works with the Office of Institutional Advancement to coordinate fundraising and development activities for the department. Facilitates charitable giving by donors thus enhancing the Institution's ability to meet established athletic fund-raising goals by assisting with the planning, coordination and supervision of fund-raising events and promotional activities for intercollegiate athletics.
- Coordinates activities and events with athletic alumni through the Varsity R Club.
- Ensures that the quality and quantity of medical care available to student-athletes is appropriate for the particular activity being conducted by providing the Head Athletic Trainer with guidance and direction regarding such matters as athletic insurance coverage, coordination with physicians to ensure proper care and supervision during athletic events and/or training sessions, maintenance of medical rehabilitation equipment, and the student athletic trainer program.
- Contributes to the overall success of the intercollegiate athletics program by performing all other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the Vice President of Student Affairs.
Supervisory Responsibilities: Oversees the hiring, training, supervision, and evaluation of coaches, trainers, and support staff and delegates specific responsibilities to ensure the efficient and productive operation of all administrative and operational functions of the department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience: Bachelor's degree and 7 years of relevant experience or a master’s degree and 5 years of relevant experience required; relevant experience to include physical education, demonstrated commitment to a program of academic and athletic excellence, athletic administrative or head coaching experience in a collegiate setting and leadership. College coaching experience and NCAA Division III preferred.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Applications: Only online applications/resumes will be accepted at: https://jobs.rose-hulman.edu until position is filled. Contact Human Resources at 812-877-8153 for questions. EEO/AA
About Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology
Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is an equal opportunity employer. It is the Institute’s policy to treat all employees and applicants equally according to their individual qualifications, abilities, experiences and other employment standards. There is to be no discrimination because of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, citizenship status, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation.
THE PLACE: Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology has established itself as the nation’s top undergraduate engineering, science and mathematics college. The scenic campus in west-central Indiana is home to 2,100 students with a passion for STEM and learning. Rose is consistently listed among the best colleges and universities in the country, including a No. 1 ranking by U.S. News & World Report as the Best Undergraduate Engineering Program for 22 years running. Our teaching-focused mission is to provide our students with the world’s best undergraduate science, engineering and mathematics education in an environment of individual attention and support.
THE PERKS: Located on the banks of the Wabash River and conveniently located within driving distance of seven major cities, T...erre Haute is a vibrant community with a revitalized downtown, museums, parks, four higher ed institutions, a rich historical past, and a dynamic food, music and arts scene. Rose-Hulman’s serene and safe campus located on the east side of town was recently designated a Tree Campus with more than 1,200 trees on its 250-acre main location. Your successes are celebrated here in a welcoming, supportive and flexible environment with a number of benefits and resources including:
• A variety of health benefit options
• Tuition exchange
• Generous and flexible paid leave program and dedicated time for professional development
• Access to full-service fitness facilities and programming
• A performing arts center featuring national touring acts and campus productions
• Access to state-of-the-art labs, facilities and equipment
• Opportunities to have an impact on student lives and be part of a greater purpose through multidisciplinary project collaboration that can have a global impact