Arts & Cultural Resources, Recreation, Special Events/Tourism
4 Year Degree
SUMMARY: Responsible for developing, planning, supervising, coordinating, and implementing city and community events in Historic Downtown Carrollton, A.W. Perry Homestead, and other various locations throughout the City and Parks’ system. Facilitate collaboration initiatives to foster the connection between Carrollton business owners and the city as well as creating destination intent for our residents. Develop partnerships, secures sponsorships, and solicit donations for events. Supervise event staff, volunteers, and event vendors. Work is performed with general direction, working from broad goals and policies. Work requires limited supervision and the use of independent judgment.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
• Supervise recreation staff, volunteers, and vendors to include prioritizing and assigning work; conduct performance evaluations; ensure staff are trained; ensure employees follow policies and procedures; maintaining a healthy and safe working environment; and, make hiring, termination, and disciplinary recommendations.
• Supervises the day-to-day operations of assigned recreational program area, which includes: planning, developing, coordinating, administering, and evaluating programs, projects, processes, procedures, systems, and standards; and, ensuring compliance with applicable Federal, State, and Local laws, regulations, codes, and/or standards
• Manage the overall creation, development, planning, design, coordination, and execution of events, including themes, concepts, and objectives in relation to organizational goals and Council initiatives.
• Foster a collaborative environment by networking and relationship building between city departments and business owners in areas where events are held.
• Facilitate various sponsorship sale opportunities.
• Researches and recommends opportunities for special events and community partnerships with outside organizations.
• Assist Emergency Management in developing Emergency Action Plans for events.
• Serves as a liaison between city departments, business owners, and vendors in the coordination of special events.
• Monitors and maintains inventory levels. Procures materials and supplies to ensure efficient division operations.
• Assists the Marketing Department in developing materials and managing advertisements for a variety of events.
• Monitors the work of vendors and contractors, ensuring compliance with contract terms and specifications. Authorizes payments to contractors.
• Input and create Facebook posts and event website information.
• Supervises the work activities of employees and volunteers at events.
• Developments budgets for special events.
• Responds to requests for information, concerns, or complaints from internal and external customers. Investigates and resolves problems and issues. Participates in the negotiation of event contracts and service agreements.
• Presents reports and outcomes of events to City Council and City Management team.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
• Supervisory responsibility over event staff (Full time and Part time staff)
• Asist Manager in developing budget for community events
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of event design and aesthetics;
• Knowledge of municipal government operations;
• Knowledge of event planning methods and principles;
• Skilled in prioritizing, organizing, and managing multiple simultaneous projects;
• Skilled in preparing clear and concise reports, including oral, written, and audio/visual presentations;
• Skilled in applying independent judgment, personal discretion, and resourcefulness in interpreting and applying guidelines;
• Skilled in developing marketing and advertisement materials;
• Skills in supervising staff;
• Skilled in gathering and analyzing information and making recommendations based on findings and in support of organizational goals;
• Skilled in operating a computer and related software applications;
• Skilled in communicating effectively with a variety of individuals.
• 2 years supervisory experience
• Master’s Degree in Recreation Studies, Event Management, Business Administration, or a related field
• Frequent reaching, sitting, standing, walking, talking, seeing and hearing.
• Frequently lifting and carrying up to 50 pounds during event preparations.
• Work is typically performed in both standard office and outdoor environments, with potential exposure to adverse weather conditions.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Recreation Studies, Event Management, Business Administration, or a related field
• Three years progressively responsible experience in coordinating special events;
• Requires a valid Texas Driver’s License
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
• Must pass pre-employment drug test.
• Must pass criminal history check.
• Must pass motor vehicle records check.
Internal Number: 268192
About Carrollton, TX Parks & Recreation
Located in the heart of the Dallas-Fort Worth area, the City of Carrollton is a vibrant corporate and residential community. The City's location and business cost advantages attract and support a diverse local economy with over 15,000 businesses calling Carrollton home. Residents are drawn to the City for its high quality of life, abundant parks, schools and safe neighborhoods.
Carrollton is connected not only by transit options such as rail and highways; it is also connected in that family and friends feel rooted here. The City is connected to its past and history; it is connected to the Dallas- Fort Worth Metroplex
Located 20 minutes from everything, including shopping, restaurants, nightlife and proximity to major U.S. cities. In addition, it is convenient and easy to do business with the City, whether a resident or developer.
A big City that feels like a small town, a place where neighbors know and care about each other, where family, community and church still come first and where people continue to look out for each other.