This position, reporting to the Intramural Director and the Equipment & Contest Manager will assist in management and care of intramural and varsity athletic events and the equipment room for the Department of Intercollegiate Athletics and Recreation and the Department of Kinesiology; It includes preparing facilities and student staff (indoor and out) for class instruction, practices, scheduled intramural and varsity athletic contests, and designated special functions as assigned by the Director of Athletics Facilities, the Director of Intramurals and the Equipment & Contest Manager.
• Assist the Director of Intramurals with all operations surrounding campus intramural and recreation activities and events including scheduling, promoting and managing events, supervising student staff and managing rosters, results and standings.
• Assist the Equipment and Contest Manager in all equipment room and contest management duties.
• Inventory, store, issue, and collect athletic/physical education equipment (includes packing of individual and team travel bags, keeping accurate up-to-date records and files).
• Assist in ordering of apparel/equipment for the varsity intercollegiate and intramural program.
• Assemble and also monitor student equipment assembly, set-up, tear-down and storage crews.
• Washes and dries varsity athletic game and practice equipment items (uniforms, practice gear, socks, towels, etc.)
• Follows approved procedures to safely and securely set-up, secure, store athletic equipment, uniforms and supplies.
• Prepares practice, game, intramural and instructional equipment for practices, games and classes which could include the following: o Outdoor areas: Prepares equipment for contests, scoreboards, nets, pads and other team equipment and transports goals, to and from designated areas.
oIndoor areas: sets-up and break down game equipment; prepare areas for participants and spectators; works with SID on media equipment set-up.
• Performs regular inspection and repairs (within capabilities) on permanent and expendable equipment.
• Performs regular inspection of equipment and propose equipment upgrades.
• Coordinate collection of student waivers and monitor intramural team/league rosters throughout the season
• Coordinate and supervise student workers in the day-to-date operations and performance of equipment room, game management and intramural operations.
• Abides by all McDaniel College, NCAA and Centennial Conference employee and student policies and procedures and all applicable professional code of ethics associated with the above responsibilities.
• Performs other duties as assigned or otherwise required by the nature of the position at the direction of the Intramural Director, the Equipment and Contest Manager and the Director of Athletics Facilities.
Bachelor’s degree and acceptance into a McDaniel College Graduate Program
Previous college-level experience working and/or playing in sports programs/teams is preferable.
A strong knowledge and experience working with sports programs/teams required
Ability to organize effectively and efficiently, self-motivated and detail-oriented
Ability to work under pressure, including the pressure of competition, with coaching staffs and students.
Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with employees, coaching staff,
student athletes, vendors, alumni and general public in all situations
Ability to manage and supervise a student staff
Ability to manage a flexible work week schedule including mandatory evening and weekend work.
Demonstrated basic proficiency in using a computer, including word processing, spreadsheets,
email and Internet.
Knowledge of multiple basic sport rules, budgeting and record keeping procedures
Ability to read and comprehend documents such as instructions, manuals, playing and safety rules, policy standards and memos.
Ability to write routine reports and correspondence for varied campus groups.
Ability to speak effectively, present information one-to-one and in small group situations.
Valid driver’s license with two or less points.
Physical Abilities/Physical Characteristics:
This position requires the ability to repetitively lift, pull, push, and move objects in weight up to 50lbs regularly and without assistance. A large amount of the time is spent performing manual labor. Specifically, this position requires the following.
Ability to work in noise, heat, cold, odors, dirt, outdoor temperatures, snow.
Ability to repetitively push and pull objects (with or without hand truck) weighing up to 50lbs without assistance while kneeling, squatting, reaching above the head, the waist, and below the knees.
Must be able to bend at the knees.
Ability to repetitively push and pull equipment (for example, pallet jack, push mower,) containing product loads a minimum of 100 yards without assistance.
Ability to repetitively grasp and manipulate objects of varying size and weight requiring fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination.
Ability to repetitively lift, carry, and position objects weighing up to 50lbs.
Ability to exert oneself physically over sustained periods to complete job activities including walking outside to all athletics facilities and back (up to three miles/day)
Ability to stand a minimum of 6 hours during the workday.
About McDaniel College
McDaniel College, recognized nationally among “ Colleges that Change Lives” and U.S. News and World Report top-tier liberal arts colleges, is a four-year private college of the liberal arts and sciences offering more than 60 undergraduate programs of study, including dual and student-designed majors, plus 20 highly regarded graduate programs.