Athletics/Sports/Fitness, Health & Wellness, Recreation, Recreation Programming
4 Year Degree
Join a dynamic team offering fun and exciting programs while redefining what leisure programs mean for the future of recreation. This position will require great creativity and experience working with recreation programs, health and wellness initiatives and in youth sports (sport specific summer camps, volunteer management and coaching safety) in a fast-paced environment.
* Must determine program needs; plan; recruit, hire and train staff to instruct or direct the programs; and ensure that programs are self-supporting.
* Responsible for current and future adult sports leagues and sports summer camps, clinics and events provided by or coordinated through this position;
* Responsible for program planning, facility and league scheduling, recruiting and training volunteers, fundraisers, promotion, publicity, purchase of equipment, and coordinating facility maintenance needs;
* Responsible for implementing Community Standards policies aimed to ensure safety and wellbeing of all league youth athletes and volunteer coaches requiring confidentiality and swift action; Includes monitoring of youth independent leagues;
* Conduct promotion of programs and fundraisers for underserved youth in a professional and successful manner;
* Responsible for the development, implementation and supervision of youth and adult recreation classes and special events that may include sports, leisure, education, health, wellness and special events throughout the county;
* Promotes and publicizes programs, coordinates and schedules facilities and develops a financial accountability system;
* Coordinates over 75 different recreation classes, programs and special events annually;
* Performs other duties as assigned and areas of program coordinator responsibility may shift across other coordinators to support the department.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree
Experience: Five years or more of related experience
Preferred: Certified Recreation & Parks Professional or related professional certification.
Note: Any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience which has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities cited below may be considered.
* Pass extensive background investigation with favorable results;
* Willingness to obtain the National Recreation & Park’s Certified Parks & Recreation Professional (CPRP) certification within two (2) years of employment.
* Negative drug test result from pre-employment drug screen;
* Successful candidate must provide proof of eligibility to work in the United States prior to employment;
Physical & Environmental Conditions: Work requires light physical effort in the handling of light materials or boxes and tools or equipment in non-strenuous work positions up to 30 pounds and/or continual standing or walking of 60%/+ of the time. Work environment involves everyday risks or discomforts which require normal safety precautions typical of such places as offices, meetings and training rooms.
Additional Salary Information: St. Mary’s County Government offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability. We offer a 457 deferred compensation plan, employee assistance program, and education reimbursement. All employees are required to participate in the Maryland State Retirement and Pension System (SRPS).
Internal Number: 1803
About St. Mary's County Recreation & Parks
St. Mary's County Recreation & Parks is located in Leonardtown, MD and offers a wide variety of programs serving just over 125,000 residents. The department operates 5 recreation centers, an aquatics facility, gymnastics center, sports arena, hosts annual special events and provides hundreds of youth and adult programs throughout the year. Additionally, over 23 beautiful parks, waterfront beaches, playgrounds, museums and a golf course provide wonderful opportunities for outdoor leisure and recreation. With a team approach to work, this dynamic department seeks to excel in parks and recreation services with innovative and dedicated staff.