ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS : For purposes of 42 USC 12101:
1. Supervises assigned staff (e.g., recommends and develops policy; interviews applicants; recommends hiring, discipline, and firing; leads, motivates, collaborates, empowers, rewards, coaches, and praises; trains and instructs employees; assigns and directs work; appraises and evaluates performance; addresses complaints and resolves problems); assists the Director in the development of the Department budget; maintains and monitors inventory; prepares research reports, packets, and agendas for City Tree Commission; attends meetings and provides technical support; plans for park capital improvement needs; estimates costs of improvements.
2. Supervises plans, organizes, contracts and directs the installation and maintenance of public trees in City rights-of-way, bike paths, parks and public green spaces as necessary to implement the City's objectives; serves as a liaison to the public; investigates complaints and responds to requests for information; implements the City's landscape program, supervises planting, tree removal, pruning, fertilizing, watering, mulches, herbicide/pesticide application, mowing and general maintenance of street trees; monitors work within the City's rights-of-way whenever such work may affect the landscape; acts in official capacity as the City Forester; may act as Department Director in his or her absence.
3. Supervises construction, renovation, inspection, and maintenance of parks facilities, playgrounds, athletic fields, tennis courts, shelters, fountain etc.; inspects work in process by staff and contractors.
4. Creates and designs plans and specifications, using all available sources of background information, for a project or program to meet the needs of the organization; reviews plans submitted for residential or commercial development for forestry compliance; supervises maintenance of tree information database; writes detailed or technical reports of all findings, conclusions, and recommendations based on a thorough analysis and interpretation of data for presentation to others. Reviews plans for other Departments upon request.
5. Supervises coordination of numerous holiday and special events with civic groups, schools, and other departments and agencies; performs sidewalk inspections.