With a growing population of over 58,000 residents from both the northern and southern parts of Commerce City, there has been a significant increase from different racial, ethnic, and cultural backgrounds. Today commerce City is one of the most diverse cities in the state of Colorado.
Our ideal candidate would have a variety of recreation and inclusive programming oversight and development. Bilingual in Spanish and professional certifications preferred (CTRS, CPRP, CPRE).
Under the direction of the Recreation Manager, the Recreation Superintendent is responsible for oversight of Recreation programs including youth & teen services, active adults, fitness/wellness, inclusion/therapeutic programming, strategic initiatives and grants. Direct supervision of program supervisors, strategic initiatives and various department-wide initiatives associated with programming, service/financial sustainability, events, collaborative partnerships and project/contract management.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
• Provides direct supervision to youth and teen supervisor, active adult/fitness & wellness supervisor, strategic initiatives; all hiring, onboarding & training associated
• Develops, plans, manages and implements strategic goals and objectives in relation to programs, services and events provided by the recreation division and department
• Leads budget preparation in program areas as assigned; plans, implements, manages, and forecasts budgets and related information
• Analyzes recreation programs and services for responsiveness to community needs, unique opportunities, and trends
• Maintains information within the PASS/SD Scorecard tool (service sustainability program, related to fees, charges & cost recovery)
• Contributes to the development and implementation of department marketing and public relations for programs and events in collaboration with the Community Relations liaison
• Coordinates and communicates with other divisions and departments within the City as well as other governmental agencies, non-profits and potential partners
• Builds partnership with governmental agencies, non-profits, community organizations, and advisory committees to meet the needs of the community, as well as consider grant and program opportunities
• Utilizes and supports the City's procurement and contracting processes
• Researches and considers grant opportunities that may be beneficial to the Recreation Division and department
• Often serves as part of a larger team, making decisions collectively & providing input
• Prepares and processes various reports and records such as invoices, time cards, supply requests, incident/accident forms, etc.
• Disseminates program information to patrons and staff; answers questions and helps resolve problems
• Responds to customer complaints, inquiries and requests for information in person, through email or by phone in order to provide quality service
• Screens complaints and identifies sensitive issues; brings appropriate issues to the immediate attention of the recreation manager and/or appropriate party
• Works collaboratively with core staff in planning, implementing and budgeting programs and special events
• Plans programs, develops work schedules and corresponds with the public
• All employees must model and demonstrate the City Values at all times during the course of employment to include Integrity, Collaboration, Innovation, Respect and Excellence.
Bachelor's degree in Recreation Management or related field required. Five (5) years progressively responsible experience in recreation program/inclusion supervision and planning, strategic planning, recreation software management, program and grant coordination and supervision, orientation and training of subordinate staff required. An equivalent combination of education, training and experience, which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities, may be considered. Bilingual in Spanish and Certified Parks & Recreation Professional (CPRP) is preferred. Must possess current CPR and First Aid certificate or be able to obtain within six months of hire. Must have a valid Colorado driver's license and good driving record.
TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION AND FULL JOB DESCRIPTION, YOU MUST APPLY ONLINE ON OUR WEBSITE. PLEASE VISIT www.governmentjobs.com/careers/ccco/jobs/2567677/recreation-superintendent