Under the supervision of the Director of Athletics, the Student Athletics Program Coordinator is responsible for proactive outreach to student-athletes to provide academic support, communication of key information from campus departments, and guidance on athletics eligibility. The Student Athletics Program Coordinator will serve as the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Compliance Officer for the department and deliver compliance education to coaches, staff, and student-athletes.
In addition to the duties within CUNY Title Overview, the responsibilities for the position include but are not limited to:
- Under the supervision of the Athletics Director, the Student Athletics Program Coordinator will serve as the NCAA Compliance officer and oversee the NCAA & CUNY Athletic Conference (CUNYAC) compliance for 15 varsity sport teams, student athletes, coaches, athletics staff and all appropriate university personnel.
- Monitor NCAA mandated requirements, including length of playing and practice season, coaches NCAA rules examination, mandatory day off, etc.
- Ensure that departmental and student-athlete paperwork and office operations are in compliance with NCAA requirements.
- Ensure that the college’s athletics programs governing recruiting, amateurism, awards and benefits, playing and practice seasons, and sports camps and clinics are in compliance with NCAA rules and regulations.
- Develop and conduct NCAA rules educational sessions for coaches, staff, and student- athletes.
- Remain knowledgeable and up-to-date on all NCAA rules and changes to legislation, by representing John Jay College at NCAA mandated events, including the NCAA Regional Rules Seminar.
- Maintain the NCAA on-line compliance system and prepare weekly, seasonal and yearly compliance reports.
- Monitor the satisfactory academic progress of student-athletes and assist all assigned student athletes with academic and career development.
- Provide academic support and counseling for student athletes in assigned sports; work with coaches, academic advisors and other university personnel to facilitate the academic success of student-athletes.
- Coordinate communication of key messages and deadlines to students.
- Assist in monitoring “at risk” student athletes, including weekly meetings.
- Distribute mid-semester academic progress reports to the faculty to note class attendance and academic progress of student athletes.
- Maintain all active and inactive files on assigned student athletes; assist in data collection and prepare and distribute reports.
- Edit (yearly) and produce the Student Athlete and Coaches’ Handbooks.
- Maintain exemplary relationships with the Office of Academic Advisement, Office of Admissions & Recruiting, Office of Financial Aid, and all faculty.
- Serve as the primary Athletics & Recreation Department liaison to all four aforementioned constituents and lead the Campus Compliance Effort/Team.
- Create and implement a Life Skills Program.
- Other duties as assigned by the Athletic Director.
CUNY TITLE OVERVIEW: Supports the administration of College athletic programs.
-Assists with compliance programs activities required by the CUNYAC (CUNY Athletic Conference) and external bodies
-Serves student-athletes through providing advising services and enrichment programs
-Organizes student-athlete communications and activities, and other department work such as calendars, materials, reports, handbooks, and compliance manuals
-Performs related duties as assigned.
Bachelor's degree required.
OTHER QUALIFICATIONS - Master’s Degree from an accredited college preferred. - Three to five years experience in academic support and compliance related field preferred. - Microsoft Office and Excel proficiency required. - Current CPR / AED certifications required. - Experience in hiring, supervising, and training staff and developing schedules to assure all work and work areas are covered. - Excellent customer and staff relation skills. - Strong presentation skills preferred.
Additional Salary Information: Annual Professional Development is supported.
Internal Number: 19621
About John Jay College of Criminal Justice
The John Jay College of Criminal Justice Athletics Department provides a comprehensive, competitive and fulfilling program in which all can feel pride, commitment and affiliation. The Department represents an exemplary model of intercollegiate athletics where athletic excellence is sought within the context of full support for the institution’s academic mission. Our goal is to attract, retain and graduate the finest student-athletes who in turn become loyal, supportive and proud alumni. The John Jay Athletics Department serves 14 intercollegiate sports and approximately 200 student-athletes. The Department also consists of Recreation and Intramurals, to create an educational environment producing social and fitness rewards.
BACK TO TOP
The NRPA Career Center is Just One of the Benefits.
Discover what else NRPA Membership has to offer!
The job you are trying to reach from was originally posted at The NRPA Career Center.