The City of Bloomington is looking to hire an inclusive and visionary leader to serve as its next Parks and Recreation Director. The department provides a broad array of recreational programs and park facilities for residents and visitors of all ages. With 97 parks, 3,700 acres of green space, a public beach, an aquatic center, two golf courses, a community center, an ice garden, an art center, 50 miles of off-road trails and 60 miles of bike lanes, Bloomington boasts a diverse parks and recreation system. The successful candidate will bring not only technical skill and knowledge in the areas of park and facility management, but most importantly the emotional intelligence, leadership qualities and cooperative team skills needed to advance the City’s vision of being a High Performing Organization
Required Skills and Experience
Candidates with a minimum of 5-10 years of progressively responsible parks and recreation experience with at least five years of supervisory experience would be considered ideal. Experience being persuasive and influential with a governing board, body, or leadership team and soliciting community engagement are also essential. It is important for the director to have direct experience in the business development side of recreational programming. Experience developing and running a multi-purpose community center is desired.
Other Desired Qualifications:
• Master’s degree in parks and recreation, business administration, public administration, health, physical education or closely related field.
• Thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of parks facilities planning, park development, redevelopment, and construction, including the preparation and implementation of capital improvement plans and budgets, retention of appropriate professional consultants, bidding and construction management.
• Knowledge of the principles of urban planning as they apply to recreation facilities and programs planning, including: nationally accepted planning standards for municipal parks and recreation facility needs, application of demographic data, human service needs, transportation, nature conservancy, issues of youth at risk, crime prevention, etc.
• Excellent communications and people skills.
The City is seeking candidates who are passionate about the reach and impact of what parks and recreation provides citizens. The new director will be a team-builder and collaborator who seeks input and desires to stretch the boundaries of ‘what’ and ‘how’ things are done.
The City is specifically seeking:
• A team builder who understands the how and why of the programs they are directing.
• A supportive, trusting, transparent leader who is open to new ideas.
• A person of empathy who is a good listener, shows compassion, and creates an inclusive environment that values everyone.
• An approachable leader who creates strong relationships with staff, council and the public while advocating for parks and recreation.
• A commitment to continue to make Bloomington a great place to work.
• A culturally aware and competent leader who embraces diversity.
• A person with a great attitude and upbeat demeanor.
Compensation Starting salary of $135,000 to $155,000, depending on qualifications. Position includes comprehensive insurance, pension and paid timeoff benefits.
To Apply Please submit resume and cover letter to BloomingtonPRD@hue.life no later than October 23, 2018. Interviews are anticipated to be held November 19, 2018.
About City of Bloomington, MN
Located just south of the Twin Cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul, Bloomington is a thriving community of approximately 88,000 residents and the fourth largest city in the state. Home to Mall of America and adjacent to Minneapolis-St. Paul airport, Bloomington is both an employment and hospitality hub for the region.