The Board of Commissioners is seeking to employ an Executive Director with the following qualifications, characteristics and traits:
* A person of great integrity, honesty, self-confidence and charisma with excellent time-management and priority-setting skills.
* Bachelor’s degree in parks & recreation, administration or related field; a master’s degree and CPRP/CPRE are preferred.
* Five to seven years of administrative experience in the park and recreation field. Experience as a director preferred.
* Demonstrated skills in seeking outside funding for the agency.
* Strong personnel management skills, including the ability to assign personnel and delegate responsibilities with assurance and accountability.
* Ability to provide leadership and development of long-range plans that provide for continued improvement of agency.
* Possess excellent oral and written communication skills with ability to communicate effectively with all types of individuals.
* Active community leadership with knowledge of the importance of involving communities in collaborative processes for park planning and the belief in the strength of community involvement and participation, including volunteerism.
* Preferred management style that is collaborative and emphasizes team management.
* Knowledgeable of park and recreation issues, trends, personnel management, creative financing, marketing and public relations.
* Comprehensive planning skills and experience. Ability to assess community needs, research trends and innovative concepts as they apply to improvement of the agency operations and long-range planning.
* Demonstrated success in administration and budget management. Must have experience in the creation of a sound fiscal program including: capital projects, budgeting, forecasting, development of projects through the referendum process, and other alternative funding sources; e.g. foundations/federal/state grants and enterprise operations.
The Board of Commissioners of the Channahon Park District invites applications for the position of Executive Director. The Board is interested in the selected Executive Director to begin employment at the district tentatively by January 9, 2019. The Channahon Park District is an equal opportunity employer.
Applications should be marked Personal and Confidential. All applicant packets must be received by September 28, 2018 and must contain the information below in order to meet the Board consideration. All documents (other than education credentials) must have a left margin of 1.5 inches. Each numbered item below needs to be on a separate page. Please do not bind or staple.
1) Formal letter of application indicating reasons you desire to be a candidate.
2) Current resume needs to include, but not be limited to, employment history, duties, number of employees supervised and budget amount managed.
3) Complete list of accomplishments/completed projects.
4) Provide at least 3 CURRENT letters of recommendation. These written references ideally should include a balance of former employers, employees and board members.
5) You must also supply 3-6 PROFESSIONAL references with complete names, addresses and phone numbers. These references need to be different from those providing letters of recommendation and will be contacted by the Illinois Association of Park Districts upon receipt.
6) Typewritten responses to the following management questions. Please limit your responses to one page per question.
Describe your management style.
State and discuss your philosophy of parks and recreation.
What issues do you consider to be critically important to the park and recreation field today?
If given the opportunity, how will you attempt to resolve these issues?
If you were chosen for the position, what steps would you take as the district’s new leader in your first 120 days?
7) Salary history for the past 5 years.
8) Complete set of up-to-date credentials which include legal proof verifying educational degrees. Transcript or copy of degree is acceptable.
9) Written permission to contact past employers and written permission to have a criminal background check.
About Illinois Association of Park Districts
The Illinois Association of Park Districts' Director Search Service helps boards attract outstanding professionals to serve as the chief executive of their agencies. The IAPD has conducted more than 127 director searches in Illinois and throughout the country.
Working closely with our director search clients to find top notch leadership that best fits each agency's needs is a valuable IAPD membership service. Why not take advantage of it? The IAPD knows boards and their concerns. We know the professionals in the field. We truly care about each individual search. While other firms are primarily profit driven, we are driven by the goal of attaining the best, most qualified candidates who will lead Illinois' park districts, forest preserves, conservation and recreation agencies into a successful future. That is why we offer AFFORDABLE fees. It is in our interest, and that of the Illinois park district system, to find the best professionals possible to lead our agencies.
IAPD is highly competent in reaching potential candidates throughout the state and nation.