Plan, implement, and direct the maintenance and repair of parks, recreation facilities, medians, landscaped right of way and public grounds, minor construction projects, and maintenance operations in order to provide safe, playable, and aesthetically pleasing parks, open space, and recreation areas within the City.
Position involves competing demands, performing multiple tasks, working to deadlines, occasional work beyond normal business hours, and responding to customer issues. Regular attendance is an essential function of this job to ensure continuity of services. Position is subject to drug testing in accordance with applicable State and Federal regulations and City of Las Cruces policies.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Directs and coordinates activities of in-house construction and rehabilitation projects, and maintenance and operations planning activities to determine required equipment, parts, and supplies, provides research, technical data analysis, evaluations, environmental assessments, site analysis, and plan development for review and consideration.
• Oversees development of preventive maintenance programs and schedules to ensure proper condition and appropriate replacement of park, athletic facility, public grounds and median related infrastructure.
• Meets regularly with staff to review work in progress, discuss and resolve administrative, workload and related issues, and to prioritize and assign tasks and projects; evaluates and analyzes functions, resources, processes, and procedures to identify issues and recommend changes for improvement; interprets rules and regulations to provide guidance in developing, implementing, and administering policies and procedures.
• Manages staff through proper delegation and work supervision to ensure appropriate levels of service and resources; monitors work, evaluates performance, trains, counsels, coaches, and instructs employees in order to meet established goals and objectives; ensures staff adhere to established policies and procedures to remain in compliance with local, state and federal regulations.
• Manages and monitors financial activities of assigned budgets to ensure compliance and meet performance targets; prepares and presents various special and recurring reports, forms, and other documents in compliance with established policies and procedures; coordinates the preparation of various documents to ensure compliance with City standards.
• Monitors status of progress related to goals established through the Strategic Plan to ensure that adequate resources are allocated to meet objectives; coordinates response to emergency operational needs, remains current on modern park management and operations related issues, and monitors and evaluates operational and support aspects of assigned section to promote and support the City's mission and meet service delivery expectations.
• Participates as a part of the Departments management team to plan programs and maintenance activities and coordinate special events; develops and delivers presentations on park construction and maintenance operations to City Administration, Parks and Recreation Board, City Council, and community groups and organizations; serves as primary point of contact to provide customer service resolving issues pertaining to park/athletic field use, rules and regulations, and any need for police intervention.
A sufficient combination of relevant education and job related experience that has reasonably prepared the applicant to successfully perform the duties and responsibilities of the position, such as those listed above.
Bachelor's Degree in Park Management, Landscape Architecture, Public or Business Administration, or related field AND five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in the management and maintenance of park areas, operations, and facilities which includes a minimum of two (2) years of supervisory experience. A combination of education, experience, and training may be applied in accordance with City of Las Cruces policy.
Valid Class D driver's license is required. Specific technical training and certifications may be required. Position requires and acceptable driving record in accordance with City policy.
About City of Las Cruces
City of Las Cruces. An Equal Opportunity Employer.