California Institute of Technology seeks an assistant athletic trainer to support the performance of our student athletes. Located in Pasadena, California, Caltech is the world’s leading STEM research institute and is a truly remarkable and rigorous university. With 975 undergraduate students, Caltech boasts 18 intercollegiate teams in the strong D3 Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference. Our athletic program is engaged in a tremendous transformation and all programs are seeing new success.
The Assistant Athletic Trainer is a partner in the care of student athletes competing in the intercollegiate athletic programs. The athletic trainer’s primary responsibilities include: the prevention, evaluation, management and rehabilitation of injuries of intercollegiate student-athletes; safe and appropriate management and maintenance of daily athletic training room activities and facilities; other duties as assigned by the Head Athletic Trainer and the Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation. The Assistant Athletic Trainer is also responsible to participate as a member of the college community and with all collaborative departmental functions as needed. Full time exempt position with excellent benefits. Reports to the Head Athletic Trainer.
Applicants must apply through the Caltech HR website: http://hr.caltech.edu/work
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
1. Prevention, evaluation, treatment and rehabilitation of athletic injuries and illnesses of student athletes on Caltech’s 18 NCAA Division III teams.
2. Cover intercollegiate home events and practice.
3. Provide health counseling and educational support to student athletes as part of their overall
4. Communicate closely with Head Coaches as to status and progress of student-athletes.
5. Assist with the management of student medical records and documentation, assist student-athletes in navigating the health insurance and health care system.
6. Work with doctors and other allied health professionals to deliver first class, well coordinated, quality care to student-athletes.
7. Assist in management of supply inventory and medical record-keeping; other administrative tasks as necessary.
8. Participating in whole department and sport specific marketing, public relations, civic and community outreach and fundraising/friend raising activities.
9. Consult with Head Coaches in design of Strength & Conditioning design, as appropriate.
10. Demonstrate positive and effective communication in all aspects of job; including writing, speaking, listening, and non-verbal skills.
11. Exhibiting the highest professional standards and ethical behavior with regard to adherence to NCAA, Conference, College, and Department of Athletics rules, policies and expectations including commitment to life-long learning, sportsmanship on and off the field of play, positive leadership and the desire and ability to act as a positive role model and representative of the Institute at all times. You will comply with all department, college, conference and NCAA regulations.
12. Teach in the required physical education curriculum a variety of activities.
13. Other related health and fitness programming responsibilities.
14. Assuming additional responsibilities as assigned by the Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation which may include game or facility supervision duties, including facility care and maintenance, attending all department and other assigned meetings and committee work.
* Bachelors degree required; master’s degree in related field preferred. 3+ years of applicable experience; strong preference for collegiate playing or coaching experience,
* Certified by the National Athletic Trainers’ Association Board of Certification (NATABOC); certified in first aid; CPR professional rescuer certification
* Excellent interpersonal, written, verbal and non-verbal communication.
* Strong general computer, software, technology and specific database management skills.
* Knowledge of NCAA D3 rules, regulations and procedures required
* Experience with the management of health insurance and related medical documents.
* Proven ability to multi-task effectively; work effectively and independently within a collaborative team
* Ability to work effectively in a dynamic environment with students, staff, faculty, alumni and community members. Above reproach in integrity working closely with students.
* Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cultivate positive relationships with every level of the organization through excellent problem solving and conflict management skills.
* Ability and willingness to serve as a positive health and fitness role model for the entire community including a positive enthusiastic, optimistic outlook, can-do attitude, collaborative professional.
* Physical work environment, must be able to lift 50 lbs or more on a regular basis, each day is filled with physical tasks, event set up, carry towels and equipment in a variety of capacities.
About California Institute of Technology
Caltech at a Glance
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary faculty and students seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future.Caltech's 124-acre campus is located in Pasadena, California.
The mission of the California Institute of Technology is to expand human knowledge and benefit society through research integrated with education. We investigate the most challenging, fundamental problems in science and technology in a singularly collegial, interdisciplinary atmosphere, while educating outstanding students to become creative members of society.
Founded as Throop University in 1891 in Pasadena, California, and renamed the California Institute of Technology in 1920. Research and Education
Biology & Biological Engineering Chemistry & Chemical Engineering Engineering & Applied Science Geological & Planetary Sciences Humanities & Social Sciences Physics, Mathematics & Astronomy
26 academic options (programs)
49 cross-disciplinary research institutes and ce...nters
Approximately 300 professorial faculty
More than 600 research scholars
3:1 student-faculty ratio