Under the executive appointment of the Mayor, the Director of Parks and Open Space oversees the City of Detroit’s parks system and will be responsible for developing and executing a vision for significant parks expansion and playing a leadership role in the creation of an overarching open space plan for the city.
Leading the parks system includes capital planning, design, operations and programming of and concessions within more than 300 City-owned parks. The City’s parks system currently covers more than 5,000 acres and includes over 160 playgrounds, 140 athletic fields, 11 recreation centers, 4 golf courses, 3 cemeteries, 2 marinas, a swimming pool and several historic sites.
The Director will also develop a vision to reimagine and expand Detroit’s parks system, and work to fund and execute the vision with public funds at the City, State and Federal levels, and from significant philanthropic partners who have expressed support for additional parks investments.
With nearly 70,000 parcels of land owned by the City, there is an unprecedented opportunity to create new green spaces, revitalize neighborhoods, and establish new links between communities to make Detroit one of the greenest cities in the country. The Director will be a key leader in the development and implementation of a citywide vision for open space, in coordination with partner departments.
MAJOR JOB DUTIES:
- Oversees the planning, development and operation of City parks and recreational programming.
- Manages the creation of a new in-house capital planning and design capacity within the Department.
- Develops a parks master plan to meet the immediate and long-range community needs for parks and recreational services, including the expansion of the parks system.
- Supports the development a citywide vision for the use, conservation, preservation and expansion of open space, in partnership with relevant City departments.
- Builds strong relationships with the City Council, community groups, non-profit organizations, neighborhood associations, businesses, and other relevant entities to advance the Department’s mission and goals.
- Identifies and pursues additional funding for park projects and initiatives from local, state, federal and philanthropic sources and through innovative public/private partnerships.
- Oversees the preparation of the annual departmental budget and capital plan; determines resources needed and financial requests; sets strategies and performance metrics to meet goals; and reports on progress to the Mayor.
- Establishes and implements operational policies, goals, and objectives for the department and ensures that public recreational programs are carried out in accordance with federal, state and local laws, rules and regulations.
- Represents the department and the City in local and state-wide forums and before various advisory committees, legislative, regulatory and community groups.