Under the Valley Forge Sports division Valley Forge Tourism & Convention Board (VFTCB) serves as the sales representative to prospective and current clients who are interested hosting tournaments & events in Montgomery County.
The principal focus of this position is to promote Valley Forge and Montgomery County, Pa., as a sports event destination. Responds to sales inquiries, initiates new sales, prospects and qualifies leads and solicits potential clients, entertains clients, conducts site visits and answers questions. Develops sales plans and strategies to meet or exceed established lead and room night goals. Works with various members to establish and maintain strong working relationships while promoting all of our destination offerings.
The Sales Manager is expected to secure events and tournaments that result in:
- Overnight hotel stays from tournaments and special sporting programs
- Rental of commercial sports and exposition venues
- Patronage of member restaurant, attractions and services businesses
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Research and solicit new sports event rights-holders and sports meeting clients. Develop solid business relationships with these targets, generating interest in VFCVB member institutions using accuracy, honesty and service excellence.
- Achieve sales goals through proven sales strategies and tactics that include:
- Networking, Internet Prospecting, Telemarketing
- Represent Valley Forge Sports at trade shows and conventions and conduct follow-up activities.
- Attendance at sports-related conferences
- Participate in site inspections and Familiarization Tours for clients interested in Montgomery County
- Sports Advisory Board Leadership Involvement
- Research and maintain inventory of area sports event and meeting venues and facilities
- Build relationships with sports facilities and hotels to secure event space
- Gain strong understanding of bid process for sports events and work on strategic implantation plans
- Maintain existing client base and develops new accounts within the assigned markets
- Develop sales strategies targeting assigned market segments
- Make daily telephone solicitations to new and existing accounts/customers in defined market segments.
- Solicit new sports tournaments and manage current accounts.
- Plan and host special client events developing client relationships and promoting Montgomery County region
- Research and participate in trade shows, member events and community activities.
- Excellent selling skills and understanding of sales processes; can bring a sale to closure.
- Strong customer development and relationship management skills.
- Aggressively identify, initiate contact with and solicit new business and meeting industry clients
- Contribute to the success of the Board’s strategic plan and adheres to its core ideology.
- Maintain active liaison with key customers through personal contact and association memberships.
- Represent VFTCB on industry boards and committees; Committee participation is required.
- Responsible for managing CRM (customer relationship management) software.
- Review and analyze industry reports (i.e. Reader Boards) to identify new leads.
- Develop, maintain, and implement daily schedule and quarterly action plans and prepare monthly tracking reports.
- Participate in team brainstorming, problem solving and action plans.
- Responds immediately (in a timely manner) to incoming group opportunities for business.
- Ensures business booked by following up with hotel partners, third-party partners and clients directly.
- Attend, is prepared and participates in weekly Sales meetings. Meetings must be attended on time.
- Processes all business correspondence within acceptable time limits. Creates contracts, customized proposals, and other related booking documentation as required while managing and maintaining account files.
- Conducts pre- and post-event meetings as needed to review/communicate group needs and feedback.
- Make qualified sales trips to solicit new and maintain existing accounts in the sports tourism market segment.
- Management of flexible schedule with potential evening, weekend and overnight travel; travel includes up to a 5-hour drive within Mid-Atlantic Region along with domestic air travel as needed to attend association/client events/trade shows etc.
- Undertake assignments and duties at the request and under direction of the Director of Tourism & Convention Sales
- Performs other duties as assigned to meet business needs.
Competencies and Skills:
- Excellent communication, management and sales skills
- Strong problem-solving, organization, analytical and negotiation skills
- Strong presentation and communication skills (verbal, listening, writing)
- Ability to influence others, effective decision making skills, creative and detail-oriented
- Able and willing to travel; both regional driving and air travel required
- Position requires occasional evening and overnight travel
- Computer capability, experience with Microsoft Office Software and CRM system skills
- Strong internal (members/ hotel partners/venues) and external customer relation skills (clients & third-party planners)
Bachelor’s degree; Strong selling and prospecting skills; excellent oral and written communication skills; strong analytical skills; driver’s license, local area knowledge, prior hospitality tourism industry (hotel, catering, attractions, etc.) sports sales experience is a plus.
A college graduate with least 2-3 years of experience in a sales related position or equivalent combination of education and experience. This position requires flexibility of hours, weekend work and overnight travel.
QUALIFICATIONS: To perform this job successfully candidate should demonstrate a high level of energy, discretion, flexibility and good judgment, as well as an ability to work with senior executives and business partners. Must possess strong written and oral communications skills, as well as excellent organizational skills.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, industry and trade journals, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
COMPUTER CAPABILITY: Knowledge of database management, Microsoft Office Suite, mass mailing and e-mailing, mail merge of word processing and Internet research.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form. Lead by example.
WORK ENVIRONMENT and PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Must be able to meet the typical physical and emotional demands of a standard office environment. This may include occasional lifting of boxes weighing up to 40 lb. The position does require some weekday and weekend travel.