The City of Gaithersburg Department of Parks, Recreation & Culture is seeking an experienced professional to lead and direct the Youth and Senior Services Division. This is a highly responsible leadership position that provides direct management oversight to this multi-functional team that promotes positive youth development and encourages seniors to be active and independent.
The Youth & Senior Services Division Chief provides vision and direction and is directly responsible for planning, development, execution, and evaluation of all youth and senior services programs, activities, events, and facilities (including two youth centers, one senior center, and a skate park). The Division Chief oversees key functions of the Division and its staff and is accountable for ensuring that services and programs within these areas/facilities are well-programmed, safe, welcoming, further the Department's goals and objectives, align with the Department's and City's vision and strategic directions, and consistently meet the highest quality and standards to serve the City's residents, visitors, and community members.
The ideal candidate will be a proven effective communicator with outstanding people skills, as the position requires extensive contact with program participants and their family members, City staff and officials, and the general public. Customer service inside and outside the organization will be a top priority, with special emphasis on the delivery of programs and services to the public. The Division Chief will be an innovative and creative leader who will bring a fresh perspective as well as exceptional leadership and management skills to the position. Good judgment and common sense are essential. We're looking for an individual who will be an excellent day-to-day manager who can keep operations running smoothly and anticipate problems before they develop, while also taking time to consider the future. The successful candidate will excel at bringing out the best in people, recognizing and mentoring talent, and creating an environment of collaboration and partnership.
What you will do with us:
- Oversee, direct, coordinate, manage, and participate in the work of the Youth Services and Senior Services programs.
- Lead and manage day-to-day operations, budgetary preparations, fiscal and performance measure monitoring, work assignments and priorities, projects, and programming.
- Supervise all personnel administration functions.
- Monitor and evaluate the efficiency and effectiveness of operational performance including service delivery methods and procedures; identify opportunities for improvement; recommend appropriate services and staffing levels.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of short- and long-term goals, objectives, policies, and priorities for assigned programs.
- Engage with community groups and individuals to exchange information regarding youth and senior services interests, needs, and available and future programming.
- Represent the City and the Department in a variety of public settings.