Job Title: Recreation Director
Position Summary: Responsible for the overall direction of recreational operations and facilities, including program development and supervision of recreation personnel. Direction of Department consistent with the 2015 Recreation Business Plan. Works closely with the Aspen Recreation Center Citizens Advisory Committee, City Council, and other boards and commissions as they apply.
Supervision Exercised and Received: Position works under the policy direction of the Parks and Recreation Manager. Exercises general supervision over the Recreation Operations Managers (Aquatics, Ice, and Recreation), and the Facilities Manager.
Essential Job Functions:
- Executes leadership and supervision responsibilities through sound judgment, focusing on quality improvement, managing and resolving conflict, fostering a culture of accountability, clearly defining responsibilities and expectations, setting goals, providing motivation and timely performance feedback, recognizing contributions and encouraging training and development. Administers and ensures compliance with the organization’s policies and procedures.
Recreation Business plan
- Develops annual and multi-year business plan and strategies to meet business goals. Develops and directs strategic projects, and provides oversight in the implementation of business strategies. Communicates business plan and strategies to internal and external stakeholders to secure buy-in. Communicates with other municipalities to compare programs, pricing, and structure and collaborates with non-profit organizations and other city entities to ensure improvements and community needs.
- Provides guidance and direction for all facilities, operations and scheduled functions within the Recreation Department. Maintains responsibility for program development and implementation based on community need and interest. Evaluates program effectiveness for future planning. Researches available grants for State and Federal Assistance. Manages and participates in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs.
- Has overall responsibility for the Recreation Department budget. Projects, forecasts, estimates and reviews expenditures and revenues. Prepares the annual department operating budget. Provides for budget execution and control. Performs capital programming and capital budgeting responsibilities.
- Acts as official representative for department and responds to media inquiries. Assists in or participates in events to promote community awareness. Seeks appropriate financial or other support for projects and programs.
Core Competencies Displays the following key competencies in the overall job performance to include knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Knowledge of and ability to use principles and practices of modern parks and recreation programs, operations, technologies, development, and administration to effectively supervise operations for the Recreation Department.
- Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, human resources modeling, leadership technique, and coordination of people and resources.
- Knowledge and experience in the operations of multiple facilities. Knowledge in operating leagues, tournaments, ice facilities, aquatic facilities and customer service/POS operations. Ability to identify and plan for future repairs and replacement as needed for the safe and continued operations of recreational facilities.
- Knowledge of and ability to use economic, budgeting, and accounting principles and practices, and the analysis and reporting of financial data.
- Ability to effectively promote operations for the Recreation Department, such as implementing ways to involve the community in a variety of programs, work with other departments to implement new projects, and be able to assess if new strategies are effective.
- Knowledge of administrative and clerical procedures and systems such as word processing, managing files and records, designing forms, and other office procedures.
- Ability to communicate concisely and effectively through a variety of methods, such as email, written reports, presentations, and verbally; confident and skilled at public presentations including use of power point
- Ability to motivate and direct people as they work, and identifying the best people for a given task, in order to make satisfactory progress towards desired objectives.
- Ability to make appropriate decisions in an executive position.
- Ability to effectively collaborate with groups of people and/or department heads to complete assignments in a time-effective manner.
- Ability to identify complex problems and review related information to develop and evaluate options and implement solutions.
- Ability to handle stressful situations in a professional manner, including angry or difficult individuals or emergencies.
- Knowledge of principles and processes for providing satisfactory customer service and taking necessary steps to assist customers with their needs.
- Possesses interpersonal skills including understanding, friendliness, courtesy, tact, empathy, cooperation, concern, and politeness to others and relates well to different people from varied backgrounds and different situations.
- Ability to work independently, establish priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Maintains a high level of organization and orderliness.
- Knowledge of relevant policies, procedures, and strategies to promote city safety operations.
- Knowledge of and ability to use the basic tools, equipment, and machinery involved with assigned work.
- Ability to apply procedures and requirements relevant to the Parks and Recreation Department in development of training programs and projects, and effectively using programs to train staff.
Other duties as assigned.