Director of Recreation, Culture and Parks
The City of District Heights, located in Prince George’s County, MD is a municipality with approximately 6,000 residents, a friendly, involved treasure in the “County” that has a sense of community. The City is governed by the Mayor and Commission.
The director we are seeking will oversee the department, management, and operation of recreational facilities. Work includes organizing, planning, coordinating, evaluating, and directing the work of professional staff and other support employees in accordance with the direct supervision of City Manager and broad direction from the Mayor and Commission.
EDUCATION/EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s Degree in parks, recreational, leisure services, or related field, preferably from a National Recreation and Parks Association accredited college or university; or in education, physical education, public or business administration in combination with professional certificates or coursework in recreation, organization, and administration. Masters preferred.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Experience working with or staffing elected councils or various boards and commissions.
- Demonstrated success in supervising staff, collaboratively working with other departments, community, business, and governmental stakeholders.
- Five to seven years of experience in public recreation, including two years in planning, administration, and supervision; or any equivalent combination of acceptable education and experience.
- Certification through NPRA is preferred.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Maryland driver’s license and have an acceptable driving record based upon Prince George’s County criteria.
- Requires post-offer drug and background test.
- Demonstrate success in writing, securing, and executing grant funds and grant related programs.
- Demonstrate success in implementing innovative youth, senior, and/or cross generational activities.
- Experience in strategic planning, leading capital improvement projects.
- Experience in organization development and systems change.
- Experience in marketing, graphics, desktop publishing, project management, contract management, performance management and social networking.
The salary range is $60K-$63K with benefits. Serious candidates must submit a comprehensive resume or curriculum vitae by close of business August 1, 2014 to: City of District Heights Attn: City Manager, 2000 Marbury Drive-District Heights, MD 20747. No telephone calls please. EOE.