To apply please submit a cover letter, resume and on-line application via our website: www.genevaparks.com
Summary: The Geneva Park District is a dynamic and growing park district serving a population of over 32,000 residents. Geneva Park District has been recognized as a 3 time Illinois Distinguished Agency. The park district owns or leases 56 parks covering over 700 acres and maintains over 300 acres of natural areas. The park district also maintains 2 community centers, 2 outdoor aquatic facilities, a miniature golf course, an outdoor water spray ground, an interpretive nature center, a nature playground and a community garden. The park district also maintains over 69 miles of walking and biking trails within its 18 square mile boundary.
This position is expected to strive in a highly collaborative environment and to support and enhance the operations of the parks and planning of the district.
Description: Under the direction of the Executive Director, the Superintendent has the administrative responsibility for the maintenance, repairs and improvement of all grounds, buildings, and facilities of the Park District. The Superintendent of Parks shall administer and coordinate all work activities of the Parks Department. The normal workweek, typically 7am-3:30pm, shall be as designated by the Executive Director as necessary to properly perform the duties of the job. The employee shall be considered to be on duty whenever a need exists for his/her services which may include some evening and weekend hours.
Supervisor: The Superintendent of Parks and Properties reports to the Executive Director.
Qualifications: Graduate from a college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in Park and Recreation Administration or Landscape Architecture or other related fields with a minimum of five years practical management experience. The above may be substituted with at least ten years experience within a park system or a related field with full time management experience. Certification by a professional association and record of ongoing participation in continuing education seminars and workshops is desirable. Burn management training must be acquired within 6 months of employment.
Essential Functions: Essential Functions: Administration: 1. Supervise the operations of the Parks Department in accordance with the policies established by the Board of Commissioners and the Executive Director.
2. Supervise all maintenance work and the general clean up of the parks and special facilities; monitor the appearance and condition of parks and properties.
3. Analyze vehicle operations, equipment operations and manpower efficiency to determine the most effective use of Park District resources.
4. Implement the District’s maintenance program for all parks and equipment.
5. Coordinate all general park construction projects with contractors and provide general supervision during construction. Assist the Manager of the Peck Farm Park Interpretive Center with the coordination of Peck Farm Park construction projects.
6. Maintain records for safety inspections and maintenance to all parks and equipment.
7. Oversee, coordinate and modify, as needed, the tree donation and dedication programs.
8. Supervise natural area maintenance and restoration.
9. Oversee horticulture crews.
10. Assist with special events.
11. Hire, train and supervise all staff.
Finance: 1. Prepare and administer the annual Parks Department budget.
2. Review all Parks Department invoices and follow expenditure procedures.
Communications: 1. Inform the Executive Director and other staff members of all pertinent matters.
2. Communicate with other departments to assure maximum utilization of available resources and to insure harmonious working relationships.
3. Conduct staff meetings with all Parks Department personnel.
Personnel: 1. Recruit, hire, train, and evaluate all full-time and part-time personnel for the Parks Department, including two park foremen.
2. Develop and implement a safety training program for all personnel of the Parks Department.
3. Supervise all full-time, part-time, and seasonal employees of the Parks Department.
Planning: 1. Develop and implement a park operation and maintenance plan.
2. Recommend equipment needs and capital improvements to the Executive Director. Prepare specifications and follows through with the bidding process and construction site inspections.
Special Facilities: 1. Oversee the start-up and physical operation of the swimming pools, community centers, miniature golf course, gymnasium, ice rinks, sprayground, and lighted athletic courts and fields including facilities at Peck Farm Park.
Safety Program: 1. Oversee the timely and accurate inspection of all Park District playgrounds.
2. Understand the Park District’s safety procedures and requirements. This includes completion and follow through on all accident reports, emergency safety procedures, reporting of hazardous equipment, facilities or conditions, and the conduct of any employee under their supervision. Report all incidents and potential hazards to the Safety Committee as soon as possible.
3. Plan, direct and supervise prescribed burns throughout the district.
Marginal Functions: 1. Attend Park Board meetings and other meetings when they pertain to the Park District and the duties assigned to this position.
2. Assist all employees of the Park district as needed.
Physical Requirements: 1. Ability to operate Park District vehicles. Valid driver’s license.
2. Handling Park District materials up to 100 pounds. Assistance will be provided when necessary.
Cognitive Considerations: 1. Resolve differences and problems that arise with patrons and employees.
2. The Superintendent of Parks and Properties must exhibit good problem solving ability and good judgment in keeping with the mission of the Park District.
3. May be exposed to elements when driving to meetings or when assisting workers with outdoor functions. Some activities are performed indoors; these conditions include lighting and temperature.
About Geneva Park District
More information regarding job opportunities may be found at www.genevaparks.org/about