The General Manager of Marina Facilities & Operations is responsible for overseeing the management of Cleveland Metropark's marina operations throughout the park district, which include fuel docks, bait shops, and retail stores. The General Manager also assists in the long term planning of capital projects and amenities to enhance the park district marinas from an operational, guest focus and safety standpoint.
1. Effectively supervises assigned employees, including the following:
Interviews, selects and trains employees;
Coaches employees in proper job performance techniques and procedures;
Directs work of employees and sets/adjusts hours of work;
Maintains records on employee productivity and appraises employees' productivity and efficiency to recommend promotions or other changes in status;
Handles employee complaints and disciplines employees when necessary;
Apportions work among different employees;
Monitors or implements legal compliance measures;
Determines the type of materials, supplies, or tools to be used by employees and controls the flow and distribution of materials and supplies; and
Provides for the safety of employees and the property of Cleveland Metroparks.
2. Regular and predictable attendance is expected and required. All Cleveland Metroparks employees must be prepared to work flexible schedules, including evenings, weekends, and/or holidays as required.
3. Oversees the operations of marinas in multiple locations throughout the park district, including fuel docks, bait shops, and retail stores; ensures guest and dock holder satisfaction, meets revenue goals and identifies and recommends new ways to drive business revenue; ensures proper safety training protocols and environmental protection standards are in place at each marina and are being properly followed.
4. Assumes financial responsibility for marina operations; develops and implements the business plan and forecasts revenue; prepares the annual budget; monitors and approves all expenditures.
5. Assists in the long term planning of marina facility capital projects and amenities; provides insight and recommendations on capital projects and amenities to enhance the park district marinas from an operational, guest focus and safety standpoint; ensures recommendations and projects are implemented; reports and resolves any issues as necessary.
6. Analyzes and approves purchases relevant to each location to ensure high quality and cost effective supplies.
7. Ensures proper inventory tracking is being utilized at each location and uses this information to prepare accurate financial documents as required by Senior Manager of Enterprise and the Chief Operating Officer.
8. Ensures proper financial policies are being followed in accordance with Cleveland Metroparks Finance Department rules.
9. Helps improve profitability; regularly monitors physical inventory through annual count and weekly checking; monitors inventory levels, keeping on-hand numbers as low as practical; advises on the phasing out of certain product lines when necessary; orders merchandise wisely, using the best discounts and adhering strictly to Cleveland Metroparks purchasing policy.
10. Keeps direct supervisor promptly informed of key/significant issues or concerns.
11. Carries out duties and responsibilities in a safe and efficient manner to maintain a safe work environment and surrounding area for oneself, co-workers and public. Responds to hazardous situations and/or potentially unsafe conditions by taking corrective action as capable and promptly notifying supervisory personnel.
12. Updates and enhances own knowledge by involvement in continuing education for professional growth (i.e., attends relevant conferences, seminars, in-service trainings, and certification programs)
13. Performs related duties as assigned or apparent.
Associate's degree, Bachelor's degree preferred, in business administration, hospitality management, recreation management, communication, public administration or other related field required; supplemented by Five (5) or more years of progressive business management experience in retail and marinas required; or any equivalent combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge skills and abilities for the job. Experience as a dock master, harbor master or marina yard manager preferred.
Must possess a valid driver's license under the laws of the State of Ohio. Must have or possess the ability to obtain a valid TIPS Certification, Marina Lift Driver/Operator Certification, and Class A Fuel Operators certification within six months of employment and a CMO (Certified Marina Operator) certification within five years of employment.
Thorough knowledge of marina service/concessions and facility operations including terminology, specific marina and boating knowledge, familiarity with boating and marina operations, inventory and pricing strategies, profitability practices in retail settings, proper fuel pump operation and inventories.
Experience in the operation of marina specific equipment including but not limited to, fork lifts, skid steer, marina lifts and travel lifts.
Demonstrated managerial level knowledge of marina operations including fuel pumps, retail management, inventory management and dock contract renewals.
Demonstrated ability to produce and analyze business documents including profit and loss statements, sales and labor forecasting, business plans, revenue plans, staffing models, etc.
Demonstrated ability to conduct professional level research and prepare budgets.
Strong public relations and customer service skills.
Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders, including employees and the general public. Ability to build teamwork and recognize staff contributions.
Ability to speak and write clearly, concisely and persuasively using correct grammar, spelling and punctuation with ability to communicate one-on-one or in group settings.
Ability to perform work with a high degree of accuracy and organization.
Management skills and strong business acumen, including problem solving, vision, ability to manage multiple programs and meet deadlines, collaboration, leadership, decision making and ability to analyze diverse facts and develop clear and concise reports and recommendations.
Ability to work cooperatively with others.
Proficiency in software programs including all Microsoft Office programs. Demonstrated clerical skills with high proficiency in word processing.
Prior experience with POS systems and inventory software preferred.
Mature professional attitude and considerable discretion, including ability to manage confidential information.
Ability to perform with considerable independence and initiative.'
Must be a non-smoker/tobacco user.
Filing Deadline: 11/22/2017
Cleveland Metroparks is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and talented workforce.
Cleveland Metroparks, known as the “Emerald Necklace,” is a collection of conserved green space featuring natural beauty and diversity and is dedicated to conservation, education and recreation.Cleveland Metroparks is an integral part of Cleveland and Northeast Ohio’s regional identity. Founded in 1917, Cleveland Metroparks was the first natural-area Park District in Ohio. The system was at the ...forefront of the national movement to preserve areas of natural beauty for public enjoyment and improved quality of life.Cleveland Metroparks at a glance:•18 Reservations•One nationally acclaimed Zoo•One full-service restaurant, Merwin’s Wharf•Eight golf courses•Over 23,000 acres of prime natural habitat•17.5 million recreational visitsCleveland Metroparks is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse and talented workforce.